?uestlove's Top 15 Summer BBQ Jams
Yesterday NY Mag published a round-up of "summer playlists" via their blog Vulture, which happened to include a playlist of "Songs that get the summer outdoor party/BBQ started" compiled by our own benevolent afro-lord, ?uestlove. Of course the mag's format didn't allow for ?uesto to explain his selections, whereas any OKP reader knows that insight, record nerdery and inside tips that to be found in such a thesis is the whole reason you ask ? to MAKE a list like that in the 1st place. Or as ?uesto himself put it: "i work for a comedy show now so "set up" is in m'DNA." After a quick twitter exchange, Vulture nicely put the ?uest-nuggets into a separate post, which we have reprinted here, complete with audio via the youtubes, for you listening pleasure. Play on.
1. Herb Alpert, "Route 101" - If i were dj'n Jimmy Fallon's Yacht Rock Party. Every august we get our smooth on. its going on our 3rd year, one of my best parties ever.
2. The Beach Boys, "Wind Chimes" (Version 2/Tag) - If i were dj'n Brian Williams' Clam Bake: (Noone tries to "out obscure song reference" knowledge you like B Willie even if said jam is a bunch of studio jabber....he'd call me out if i didn't play the mono version).
3. Tyrese f/ R Kelly & Rick Ross, "I Gotta Chick" - if i were dj'n Amber Tamblyn's wedding reception (because its only right).
4. 2 Chainz, "Spend It (Riding Round & Getting It)" - if i were dj'n Aziz Ansari's rooftop que: (Lactose punchlines are the in thing this year).
5. Lee Dorsey, "Occapella" - if i were dj'n Penn Bagley & Zoe Kravitz' Williamsburg backyard potluck: (its mostly 1972 w/ these guys).
6. Graham Central Station, "The Engine In Me" - if i were dj'n Prince Vegan-only after party (good bass work gets his motor running).
7. Fela Kuti, "Beast Of No Nation" - If i were dj'n the Fela Returns To Broadway (did i just leak an exclusive?!?!) pre show BBQ/post show/Afterparty: (Fela's last and greatest groove...throws em off every time i spin it like "how'd we forget THIS ONE!?!?!").
8. Delroy Wilson, "I Don't Know Why" - if i were dj'n Mick Jagger & L'ren Scott's evening 'que (riddems riddems roots all night long). [sidenote: BRRAP!-ed.]
9. The Blackbyrds, "Rock Creek Park" - if I were dj'n Oprah's Fish Fry (this is my version of giving her a free car, if i was given a half hour more i swear her & Gayle would recreate the subway b-boy battle scene from Beat Street).
10. Louis Jordan, "Beware" - if I were dj'n Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Garden Party (jazz with a financial cautionary tale on the side).
10a) Sugar Hill Gang, "Rapper's Delight" - if i were dj'n Mayor Michael Nutter's Jam? (remember i did start out a Philadelphian) "Rapper's Delight" (trust me Nutter's true calling is being an MC, check youtube for the one & only Mike Q.S.T. performance of this song).
11.Billy Joel, "Uptown Girl" - if i were dj'n Andy Samberg Summer Jammy Jam (don't let that digital short bravado fool you, he knows video choreography like the back of his hand).
12. Drake, "City Is Mine" - if I were dj'n Drake's BBQ i'd rock " " by Drake for all 5 hours out of fear that he'll walk out on me again for not playing his music.
13. John Travolta & Olivia Newton John, "Summer Nights" - If i were dj'n Amy Pohler's UCBbque i'd spin (because c'mon now....who can resist a chance to recreate the scene if played in public?).
14. Michael Jackson, "Off The Wall" - if i were dj'n Janet Jackson's beachfront party id play *my* versions of her brother's "Off The Wall" album just so i can watch the slow "wait....how'd he get this?!?!?" look she slowly gets anytime i play em.
15. if i were dj'n for my girlfriend & her best friends i'd just let em take over the turntables cause i gotta deal with this woman everyday.