Okayplayer Seeks Managing Editor
Okayplayer’s editorial team is seeking a Managing Editor. This person will work closely with the Editor-In-Chief to assign, edit, and write articles for Okayplayer’s online platforms. This is a full-time position in the Brooklyn office.
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of editorial experience--with emphasis on managing writers and editorial processes--and a deep knowledge of and enthusiasm for written and visual media. Equally key is a familiarity with the Okayplayer brand + ethos, as well as a general passion for and currency with music, social justice, art, film, news, comedy and tech (particularly online communities and the web).
• Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief in planning and maintaining an editorial calendar.
•Working closely with the EIC to run meetings and planning sessions for upcoming feature articles; generating ideas with editorial staff; responding quickly to current events.
• Commissioning articles from freelance writers; working with writers on the editing/re-writing process.
• Negotiating payments with freelance writers; working with the EIC to create a fee structure.
• Growing Okayplayer’s network of freelance writers.
• Managing the publishing process with editorial staff and writers.
• Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
• Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
• Assist in developing and enforcing editorial policies, including a style guide.
Skills and Experience:
• Broad knowledge of and interest in music including hip-hop, classic soul and the contemporary pop music landscape
•Passion for social justice, news, art, film, questions of identity politics and black culture.
• Ideal candidate will have 3+ years of editorial experience at a magazine or blog.
• Must have strong writing, communication, and organizational skills.
• Familiarity with WordPress, Google Docs, and basic web publishing processes a plus.
• Must have sharp attention for detail and a strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Must have a firm grasp of social media platforms and communities, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Interested and qualified candidates please send resumé and clips to:
Okayplayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.