Teenage Musician Killed In Austin Bombings Was Admitted Into Prestigious Ohio Music School
A teenager killed by the Austin bomber had been accepted into one of the most prestigious music programs in the nation shortly after his death.
Seventeen-year-old Draylen Mason, who played the stand-up bass, was one of just 130 students picked from a pool of 1,500 applicants to attend the music conservatory at Oberlin College, according to a report from ABC News. Michael Manderen, the admissions director for the music conservatory, said the decision to accept him to the program was made prior to his death, but notices weren’t sent out until this past Friday.
Mason was murdered by Austin bomber Mark Anthony Conditt on March 12. The bomb was in a package and placed on Mason’s doorstep when he brought it into his home and attempted to open it when it detonated. The explosive killed Mason and injured his mother.
The musician was a member of the Austin Youth Orchestra and the Austin Soundwaves music program, and had also been accepted into the Butler School of Music at the University of Texas-Austin.
“He was a remarkably and precociously talented bass player whose talents developed enough through the program for him to audition into top music schools,” Doug Dempster, dean of the school’s College of Fine Arts, said in a statement.
Following Mason’s death a memorial fund was established by his family, with the fund having raised over $132,000.
Conditt’s death has been ruled a suicide after he detonated a bomb inside of his vehicle and killed himself.
Source: ABC News