D'Angelo & ?uestlove Rock Brooklyn Bowl
UPDATE: Just added some videos below: stay tuned to OKP for our official video recap in the coming days!
D’Angelo & ?uestlove blew the roof off of Brooklyn Bowl last night for their “Brothers In Arms” show – which strangely did not include any shout outs to Dire Straits. The Soulquarian duo took the stage around 11pm and kept the crowd mesmerized as D’Angelo sang and played keys (Fender Rhodes, Hohner D6 Clavinet, ASR-10, and a Yamaha CP-70 for you gear heads) while ?uestlove kept time behind the drum kit and occasionally provided backup vocals.
In addition to a tight selection of covers by the likes of Curtis Mayfield, Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone, Bobby Womack, Ohio Players, Prince & The Revolution, and the S.O.S. Band (!!!!!!!), D’Angelo and ?uestlove included such D fan favorites like “The Root”, “The Line,” “Africa,” and “Alright” before closing with an encore of “Lady.”
Before exiting the stage, ?uestlove took the mic at center stage saying that he was tired of talking about D’s upcoming record and asked D if his new album was almost finished, to which D simply replied “Yes” to a roar of excitement from the crowd.
Besides the whole Okayplayer team (including Jennah Bell!) we spotted a lot of familiar faces in the crowd such as Melanie Fiona, Action Bronson, Maya Rudolph, Bilal, Citizen Cope, Nelson George, Robert Glasper and many more! Check out D’Angelo & ?uestlove at Brooklyn Bowl!
1) Go Back To The Thing / Let Me Have It All (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
2) Cosmic Slop (Funkadelic cover)
3) Woman’s Gotta Have It (Bobby Womack cover) / The Line
4) You Caught Me Smilin’ / Africa Talks To You “The Asphalt Jungle” (Sly & The Family Stone covers)
5) Tell Me If You Still Care (The S.O.S. Band cover)
6) Our Love Has Died (Ohio Players cover)
7) The Root
8) Really Love
9) Alright / Mother’s Son (Curtis Mayfield cover)
10) New Position (Prince & The Revolution cover) / Africa
11) Lady (encore)