Nylah Anderson, who was only 10, died at her home in Pennsylvania after attempting to do the dangerous viral challenge.
Pennsylvania mother Tawainna Anderson wants to spread awareness for parents to monitor their children’s favorite online platforms following the death of her daughter, 10-year-old Nylah Anderson. Nylah was in her bedroom when she attempted the “Blackout Challenge,” a stunt where participants on TikTok are challenged to hold their breath until they passed out.
Upon finding her unresponsive, Nylah’s family rushed rushed the 10-year-old to Nemours Children’s Hospital, but she was unable to be revived. Nylah’s passing is the latest children’s death associated with a viral challenge. According to CBS News, on March 22nd, 12-year-old Joshua Haileyesus was found unconscious after accidentally choking himself with a shoelace and died after spending 19 days on life support. Like Anderson, Haileyesus was attempting the “Blackout Challenge”.
Tawainna described Nylah as a “happy child” who spoke three languages, but as Nylah’s classmates are preparing for holiday festivities, they’ll also be mourning her death during a memorial service on Christmas Eve.
“It’s a pain that don’t go away–it’s in your stomach, it’s at the top of your throat and I’m so hurt,” Tawainna said to 6abc Philadelphia. “Make sure you check your kids’ phones. You never know what you might find on their phones. You wouldn’t think 10-year-olds would try this. They’re trying because they’re kids and they don’t know better.”
Associate Divison Chief of Nemours’ Pediatric Critical Care, Dr. Mindy Dickerman warned that the Blackout Challenge can result in strangulation that can cause cardiac arrest and significant organ damage, including brain damage.
Tawainna blames TikTok for pushing the Blackout Challenge as medical professionals advise parents to converse with their children about what viral challenges they’re following on social media.