The former Empire actor has also named several Chicago Police Department officers, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and the two brothers involved in his alleged attack in his counterclaim.
Jussie Smollett is has reportedly filed a counterclaim against the City of Chicago, numerous Chicago Police Department officers, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and the two brothers involved in his public trial.
In the counterclaim Smollett alleges he was “the victim of a malicious prosecution that caused humiliation and extreme distress.” Additionally, he previously told police he was beaten in January by the two brothers Abimbola Osundairo and Olabinjo Osundairo who also allegedly tied a noose around his neck.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the former Empire actor has said that his $10,000 payment following the close of the criminal case should “prevent Chicago from seeking reimbursement for a police investigation of his claim that he was a victim of a racist and homophobic attack.” His attorneys reportedly filed a response Tuesday to Chicago’s lawsuit in federal court.
Chicago police say the attack was staged and Smollett was later “charged with making a false report.” In March prosecutors dropped the case, at the moment the actor maintains the attack wasn’t staged and allowed authorities to keep the $10,000 bail.
Today, a representative for Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo released a statement calling Smollett’s counterclaim a “sad attempt” to “falsely smear the city.” The brothers previously filed a lawsuit against the actor’s attorneys for defamation.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Robyn Mowatt is a staff writer at Okayplayer where she covers culture, music, and fashion. You can see what's on her mind @robyn_mowatt.