After suing Nicki Minaj and her husband Kenneth Petty in 2021, Jennifer Hough has voluntarily dismissed her harassment lawsuit.
Since August 2021, Nicki Minaj faced legal action from Jennifer Hough, a Queens-raised woman who accused Minaj’s husband, Kenneth Petty of rape in 1994. Both Hough and Petty were 16-years-old at the time of the alleged incident, Hough claimed that Petty led her into the house with a knife.
On Wednesday, Hough voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit against Minaj, while Petty remains a defendant. According to TMZ, a financial settlement wasn’t reached, as Hough previously claimed that Minaj attempted to bribe her. In a 2021 case profile by The Daily Beast, Hough claimed that Minaj and Petty wanted to discuss a non-disclosure agreement and recanting her 1994 rape allegation.
TMZ also mentioned that Minaj’s attorney Judd Burstein, sent an email to Hough’s attorney Tyrone Blackburn dismissing the possibility of Hough using the case as means of extortion.
“In my view, your conduct in pursuing this case against Nicki represents the worst of our legal system: bottom-feeding lawyers who pursue frivolous actions against a celebrity assuming that they will be paid off if they throw enough dirt,” Burstein wrote. “You forced my client to spend over $300,000 in fees to defend a case which even my labradoodle, Gracie, could see was frivolous on both the facts and the law.”
However, Blackburn says the case is to be continued. Filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, Complex reports that court documents show that the lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice, meaning that Hough can pursue Minaj in court again.
“This does not mean that Nicki Minaj is in the clear,” Blackburn told Complex. “In fact, she’s probably in a worst position now than prior to when the case started. So, I would say, stay tuned.”