Before her untimely death on December 30, Erica Garner had met with U.S. Justice Department officials and secretly recorded the meeting where they told her that a decision in the federal probe into Eric Garner‘s death could be mere “months” away. Now that video has been released.
“I did just tell you that I think we will be in the decisional point in the next several months,” a Justice Department representative told Erica’s family on June 21 of last year. “We’re not talking about no decisions being made on this case in 2018. That is not where we’re at.”
— officialERICA GARNER (@es_snipes) January 23, 2018
“I think that we’ll be at a decisional point within the next several months,” another official adds. “We’re not talking about, no decisions being made on this case in 2018. That is not where we’re at.”
The video, which was released on Erica’s Twitter account, was the result of the Garner family’s distress at Justice officials failing to provide information on the investigation of Eric’s death. Although to many it seemed as if the family was content with the $5.9 million settlement they received from the city of New York, Erica was still “determined to see if someone, anyone, would be federally prosecuted on civil rights charges for her father’s chokehold death,” according to Rolling Stone.
Lawyer Jonathan Moore, who represents the Garner family, criticized the video’s release.
“I think the release of that information is not helpful for getting a good outcome in this case,” he said.
The recorded sit down took place nearly three years after Eric’s July 17, 2014 death on Staten Island, when he was placed in a chokehold by Officer Daniel Pantaleo. Pantaleo was cleared of criminal charges by a Staten Island grand jury in December 2014.