Kalamazoo, Mich. trio Dezert Eez have consistently released music since 2003, and for the lead single for their next album they enlisted a cameo by the legendary Talib Kweli.
“Rolex Dreamin” is the first release from Dezert Eez’s sixth album, Late Night Cognac Sessions. Talib opens the song with a laid-back 16, and group members round out the song with verses of their own. The song’s smooth, saxophone and piano-laden backdrop is produced by Thovo.
Dezert Eez – the trio of Ron O’nill, Nivek and 5-Star – plan to keep up their consistency with Late Night Cognac Sessions. Out of 10 songs, two more have guests: another Brooklyn wordsmith, Skyzoo, appears on “Diamond Runnaz,” and “Kerosene Lamps” features frequent collaborator and fellow Michigander Bronze Nazereth. They also claim that they sifted through more than 60 instrumentals before settling on the final track list. We haven’t heard the full album yet, but the group promises “hard lyrics and soulful beats” and influences from Native Tongues and Wu-Tang Clan.
Late Night Cognac Sessions track list:
01. Midnight Sunz (prod. by DJ Kronic)
02. High Beamz (prod. by Zebow)
03. Cadillac Seatz (prod. by Kuahine)
04. Sunset Lane (prod. by Omitoipad)
05. Diamond Runnaz (feat. Skyzoo) [prod. by Musikal]
06. Black Karpet (prod. by RayAyy)
07. Rolex Dreamin (feat. Talib Kweli) [prod. by Thovo]
08. Oceanz (prod. by Sigma)
09. Kerosene Lamps (feat. Bronze Nazareth) [prod. by B.O Beatz]
10. Fresh Air (The Weekend) [feat. Lady B] (prod. by mjNichols)