Okayplayer Seeks Staff Writer To Join OKP Editorial Team
Okayplayer’s editorial team is currently seeking a Staff Writer (staffwriter) to handle news posts and features on arts, culture and politics for the site. This is a full-time position and all candidates must be able to commute to our offices in Brooklyn, NYC in order to be considered.
The ideal candidate will have at least 1-2 years of editorial experience writing for a music or pop culture outlet and a deep knowledge of and enthusiasm for written and visual media. Familiarity with the Okayplayer brand + ethos is a plus, as well as a general passion for and currency with music, social justice, art, film, news, comedy and tech (particularly online communities and the web).
• Writing, formatting and sharing 6-8 short-form, quick turnaround news items every day, as well as occasional longer features.
• Pitching story ideas, participating in all editorial meetings and contributing to curated lists and other collective editorial products.
• Attending music and culture events both during and outside of office hours for reportage on Okayplayer.
• Engaging Okayplayer's readership via comments, social media and community boards to promote and update content.
• Processing and sourcing photos, videos and audio media, as well as related captions and meta-data.
• Assisting with site maintenance and related editorial tasks.
Skills and Experience:
• Broad knowledge of and interest in music including hip-hop, classic soul and the contemporary pop music landscape.
• Passion for social justice, news, art, film, questions of identity politics and black culture.
• Entry level candidates are welcome, the ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of relevant writing experience.
• Must have strong writing, communication and organizational skills.
• Familiarity with WordPress, Google Docs, Photoshop and basic web publishing processes a plus.
• Must have a comfort with and command of online research and fact-checking.
• Must have sharp attention for detail and a strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Must have a firm grasp of social media platforms and communities, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat etc.
Interested and qualified candidates please send resumé and clips to:
Okayplayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.