Jay-Z And Beyonce Sit Through National Anthem At Super Bowl

Elijah C. Watson Elijah Watson serves as Okayplayer's News & Culture Editor. When…
Jay-Z And Beyonce Sit Through National Anthem At Super Bowl
Photo by Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images
Jay-Z And Beyonce Sit Through National Anthem At Super Bowl

Photo by Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images

A video surfaced on social media showing the pair sitting down during Demi Lovato’s performance of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

Jay-Z and Beyonce are facing criticism for not standing during the national anthem at this year’s Super Bowl.

READ: The Non-Promise of Jennifer Lopez’s Super Bowl Performance

On Sunday, TMZ released a video of the pair, along with their daughter Blue Ivy Carter, sitting as Demi Lovato performed the national anthem at the Hard Rock Stadium.

As the video made the rounds on social media, Conservative public figures like Tomi Lahren criticized the pair and called them “despicable.”

“Beyoncé & Jay-Z (former crack dealer) sit for the national anthem because apparently the United States of America has oppressed them with millions upon millions of dollars & fans. Sounds rough. Maybe they should try another country that allows them a little more freedom & success?” she tweeted.

In a follow-up tweet, she then wrote: “You hate police, Donald Trump, and the spirit of this nation so much you can’t pick your privileged asses off the chair for 2 mins to pay some respect? Despicable.”

However, a number of people came to the couple’s defense, noting that there were people sitting near Jay-Z and Beyonce that also remained seated during the anthem.

https://twitter.com/Gwengg1111/status/1224126826144059393?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1224126826144059393&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fblogs%2Fin-the-know%2Fin-the-know%2F481139-beyonce-and-jay-z-get-widespread-attention-over-video-showing

Jay-Z served a co-producer for this year’s halftime show that featured Jennifer Lopez and Shakira. In related news, the rapper and entrepreneur recently addressed the criticism he faced when he announced a partnership with the NFL last year. The deal was met with backlash by critics who felt Jay-Z had done wrong by Colin Kaepernick.

“No one is saying he hasn’t been done wrong. He was done wrong. I would understand if it was three months ago. But it was three years ago and someone needs to say, ‘What do we do now — because people are still dying?’” Jay said to the New York Times.

“We are two adult men who disagree on the tactic but are marching for the same cause,” he said elsewhere during the interview.

Source: TMZ

Want More?

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Follow Us