James Brown's 'Funky People Part 3' Set for First-Ever Vinyl Release
Founded in 1971, James Brown‘s People Records was easily the most successful of all three attempts at imprint ownership from The Godfather. It housed the talents of disciples like Bobby Byrd, Lyn Collins and Sweet Charles, all regulars in the legend’s groundbreaking revue.
The label’s stellar soul and funk cuts have been compiled twice before on James Brown’s Funky People, which remain essential to any collection. But Get On Down has dug up the compilation’s third installment and will press it to vinyl for the first time ever, just in time for the year’s second Record Store Day celebration on Black Friday. The album features tracks recorded between 1967 and 1975, including alternate takes of Brown’s classic “Talkin Loud And Saying Nothing” and Fred Wesley’s “Blow Your Head.” Pre-orders have yet to go live, but you can expect to see them in your local participating wrecka stows this holiday season.
Peep the full track list below and hold tight for more from Get On Down.
1. James Brown “Talkin’ Loud And Saying Nothing” (Original Rock Version)
2. Fred Wesley & The J.B.s “Blow Your Head” (Undubbed Version)
3. The Believers “Mr. Hot Pants a.k.a. Across The Track (Parts 1 & 2)”
4. Beau Dollar “Who Knows”
5. Hank Ballard & The Dapps “How You Gonna Get Respect (When You Haven’t Cut Your Process Yet)”
6. Bobby Byrd & The J.B.s “Doin’ The Do”
7. A.A.B.B. [Above Average Black Band] “Pick Up The Pieces One By One”
8. Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher) “Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose”
9. Sweet Charles “Hang Out & Hustle”
10. Dee Felice Trio “There Was A Time”
11. Vicki Anderson “If You Don’t Give Me What I Want (I Gotta Get It Some Other Place)”
12. Marva Whitney “It’s My Thing” (You Can’t Tell Me Who To Sock It To) [Live]