Photo Credit: Amy Sussman/Getty Images
The Kid Mero Opens Up About 'Desus & Mero' Split
On Tuesday, The Kid Mero went to New York radio station WFAN to discuss the Desus & Mero split with host Keith McPherson.
Desus & Mero fans are still coping with the show's abrupt end. After a surprise announcement was made last week about the hit series concluding on Showtime, The Kid Mero went to New York's WFAN to discuss reason behind the split with host Keith McPherson.
“It’s just natural progression,” Mero said. “It’s like we said on the podcast: ‘It’s Hollywood, baby.’ You develop strengths and things that you want to explore and do. And then things just happen naturally. It’s like Spike Jonze said on the Viceland show, ‘Everything is finite.’ What’s the corny cliche? Don’t be sad that it’s gone. Be happy that you experienced it.”
Since the announcement, reports have surfaced that the duo's former manager Victor Lopez was cause for the breakup, with a recent article from Puck News saying that Lopez resorted to "bullying, screaming, and making people on the show feel bad" during tapings.
After four seasons, Showtime announced that Desus Nice and The Kid Mero would be “pursuing separate creative endeavors.” During his WFAN interview, Mero did not specify that Lopez was behind the duo's split, but suggested a possibility of reuniting in the future.
“Everybody grows,” Mero added. “I’m sure D’s got his things that he wants to do. I got my things I want to do. And they’re very specific to us. We’ve been a duo for a long time. I love everything that he’s done. It’s just natural. I’ve got my life, my worldview, my things going on, and he’s got his. So it’s only right that, instead of just staying like, we’re only going to do this one thing, we explore. Let’s break out. Let’s see what we do as individuals, and then form like Voltron later on. Who knows?”