Aziz Ansari Returns To Stand-Up For The First Time Since Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Aziz Ansari recently made his return to live stand-up comedy this past weekend for the first time since being accused of sexual misconduct back in January 2018.
Ansari performed several surprise drop-in sets at the Comedy Cellar in New York City spanning from Wednesday through the weekend, according to a report from Brooklyn Vegan. Among the shows he played was Comedy Cellar’s weekly Sunday brunch hosted by Cipha Sounds. The report also notes that his set included jokes about millennials, Starbucks, and racism. Other comedians that were billed on the Mother’s Day show included Gary Vider, Matthew Broussard, Emmy Blotnick, Chris Gethard, and Sean Patton. Tracy Morgan also performed a surprise, drop-in set on one of the days too.
Back in January, a woman alleged that Ansari made unwanted sexual advances toward her when they went to his apartment after a dinner date via a story published on website Babe. She also said Ansari “ignored clear non-verbal cues” and “kept going with advances” after she told him she was uncomfortable.
“I believe that I was taken advantage of by Aziz,” she said.
Following the release of the story, Ansari issued a statement which can be read below in full.
“In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.”
“The next day, I got a text from her saying that although ‘it may have seemed okay,’ upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.”
“I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.”
Source: Brooklyn Vegan