After the woman who accused the actor of assaulting her opted not to cooperate with investigators, the actor’s case was dropped.
On Tuesday, the Los Angeles District Attorney has dropped Anthony Anderson‘s sexual assault case citing lack of evidence.
Authorities investigated an allegation that the “Black-ish” actor had sexually assaulted a woman earlier this spring.
The woman says the actor sexually assaulted her when she was catering one of his events. The assault allegedly took place during a meeting to discuss future opportunities.
“The reporting party has declined to be interviewed by the investigating officer,” a prosecutor wrote in a statement. “The interview is a necessary piece of the investigation. Prosecution is declined due to lack of sufficient evidence to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the allegations.”
Initially, a representative from Anderson’s team said the actor denied the allegations. “It’s unfortunate that anyone can file a police report whether it is true or false. The authorities have not contacted Anthony or any of his representatives about this matter. Anthony unequivocally disputes the claim.”
In 2004, Anderson was accused of raping a woman on the set of the film Hustle & Flow. The case would later be dismissed for unknown reasons.
On the same day, the L.A. County District Attorney declined to file sexual assault charges against Anthony Anderson, Kevin Spacey, and Steven Seagal.
The office reportedly received investigations on each of the actors from various local police agencies. Charges against Spacey and Seagal, were not filed due to the statute of limitations. In Anderson’s case, the victim refused to cooperate with investigators.
The DA’s office created a task force last year to handle the influx of Hollywood sexual misconduct cases, but so far most allegations have been dismissed due to statutes of limitations.