The White House Addresses Jay-Z's "Open Letter" In Today's Press Briefing
In a word: wow. White House secretary Jay Carney was forced by a reporter’s question to comment on Jay-Z‘s brand new track “Open Letter” at today’s press briefing. Although he’s clearly not happy about discussing a rap song Carney does state categorically:
“I am absolutely confirming that the White House, from the President on down, had nothing to do with anybody’s personal travel to Cuba…that is something that Treasury handles.”
“It’s a song Donna (?). The President did not communicate with Jay-Z over this trip”
…thereby directly addressing the lyric in which Jay-Z states he had Obama’s “clearance” for his recent and controversial vacation to Cuba. The video speaks for itself but a couple quick observations and highlights:
1) We have reached a new level in American politics. I’m not saying whether it’s a high or low level, just a new level.
2) First highlight: Lady reporter’s description (“Jay-Z released a rap today”) and rendition of the lyric:
“I turned Havana into Atlanta / Boy from the hood, I got White House clearance/ Obama said ‘chill, you gonna get me impeached / you don’t need this [expletive] anyway, chill with me on the beach.”
Q: Don’t me and Jigga be flowin’ alike? A: Nah.
3) She’s up to the time though! She must have a google alert on ‘Jay-Z Obama Lyrics’.
4) Second highlight: Carney’s got jokes! “I guess nothing rhymes with Treasury…OFAC, Treasury; these are tough words to rhyme.”
5) Observation: this is soo much bigger and funnier than NY State senator resolving in open session:
“WHEREAS, The music and message of the Beastie Boys evolved over the years, but they can’t, they don’t, they won’t stop…”
In honor of MCA‘s passing. What to expect next: a congressional inquiry into whether Jay and Beyoncé’s trip is related to his assertion that “asylum can be purchased” on Watch The Throne. Watch below and stay tuned!