The documentary is expected to air on HBO Max on May 27.
Following the release of HBO Max’s trailer for On The Record, the documentary on the allegations of sexual assault brought against Russell Simmons, the entrepreneur has spoken out on it, as well as continues to deny the allegations against him.
READ: ‘On The Record’ Details How Russell Simmons’s Sexual Assault Allegations Became Hip-Hop’s First Me Too Moment
“The stories are 25 to 40 years old,” Simmons said in a statement to HipHopDX. “I have taken nine lie detector tests, seven by the president of the California Polygraph Association. Any reporter with any interest in the truth can find it out and they are starting to do so. God will sort that out. A lie can get so big that the truth is forced out.”
“I have constantly taken ownership of having been a massively unconscious ‘playboy’ or by today’s more accurate discrimination, a womanizer,” he said elsewhere in the statement. “But I have never been violent or done anything that could be called illegal to any woman.”
HBO Max released a trailer for On The Record on April 21. In it, former Def Jam A&R Drew Dixon shares how Simmons offered her a job at his label and how, soon after, a pattern of alleged harassment began.
The documentary premiered at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, where it received two standing ovations.