Mixtape Monday: Sade x DJ Rahdu, Kaytranada, DJ Monk One + Many More!
We've made it once more to a fresh installment of Mixtape Monday, and not a moment too soon. This week's set packs a decidedly throwback batch of material, including DJ Rahdu's supreme compilation of flips, covers and remixes all made from the legendary material of Sade. Then there's Mr. Marsellus Wallace's 30 min excursion through San Diego soul, plus a just-rediscovered live recording of a classic '77 NYC park jam (yeah you read that right). On the newer side of things we've got fresh Kaytranada, the latest from Soulection, cool notes from Four Tet and so much more. Let's get to listening together, because music sounds better with you.
One of the greatest women to ever step up to a microphone got a fitting tribute from DJ Rahdu, who only last night uploaded "Pearls," a mixtape full of Sade covers, remixes and hip-hop flips. It's really all here--from MF Doom's sampling of "Kiss of Life" to Tall Black Guy's "Sade's Taboo" to the excellent Casamena edit of "Soldier of Love," it's really all here, soulful and tender in a way only Sade could be. You can download the entire mix here if you'd like, but don't let that stop you from streaming immediately.
Brothers in Arms (J Boogie & DeeJay Theory) – "Stronger"
Sade – "Nothing Can Come Between Us" (Pomo Edit)
Sade – "Soldier of Love" (Casamena Edit)
Sade – "Give It Up" (Trackademics Re-Edit)
Columbia Nights – "Make Some Room"
QSTN – "Luv U More"
MF Doom – "Doomsday"
Teck-Zilla – "Theme To S.O.S."
Reva Devito – "Sweetest Taboo"
Esta – "Only One"
Sade – "Smooth Operator" (Leon Deejay Aegean Sunset Mix)
Sade – "By Your Side" (Miguel Migs Naked Music Mix)
MNEK – "No Ordinary Love"
Tall Black Guy – "Sade’s Taboo" (Sweetest Taboo Blap-Up)
Les Nubians – "Tabou" (The Roots Remix)
Nipsey Hussle – "If U Were Mine"
Kaytranada cooked up a gem on the BBC last week, bringing hip-hop, disco, soul and so much more to his regular radio residency program. New Kalu Uchis, Vintage Madvillain and Ras G, plus a whole lot more can be heard in what might be his heaviest, most aggressive set for the Brits yet.
Marcos Valle – Bicho No Cio [SOM LIVRE]
Ras G – Jackie [Poo-Bah Records]
Madvillain – Shadows (Space Base Rmx) [Stones Throw Records]
2Pac – I Get Around (feat. Shock-G & Money B) [Jive]
Chic – Funny Bone [Atlantic]
Meli’sa Morgan – Fool’s Paradise [Capitol Records]
[unknown] – It’s All In The Mind (Outro) [White Label]
7 Days Of Funk – 1 Question [Stones Throw]
Foreign Exchange – Purple Flip [Unknown]
Janet Jackson – State of the World [A&M Records]
Mint Condition – Are You Free? [Perspective Records]
Kaytranada – Meditation Dance [Unknown]
Change – Hold Tight [Matrix]
Quadron – Hey Love (Kaytranada Remix) [Unreleased]
Full Force – I Wonder If I Take You Home [CBS]
Janet Jackson – Got Til It’s Gone (Dr. Mad Remix) [White Label]
Rebbie Jackson – Centipede [Epic]
Kali Uchis – Rush (Instrumental) [Unknown]
Planet Giza – Papi Store
Justin Timberlake – Nothing Else [Jive]
Sleepy Brown – Margarita [Virgin Records]
Denzel Curry – Threatz [L&E x C9]
June Evans – If You Want My Loving [H & H Records]
Azymth – Estrada Dos Deuses [Far Out Recordings]
Kelis – Untitled
Missy Elliott – Supa Dupa Fly (Instrumental) [Elektra]
Pomo – "Only U"
will.i.am – "Go! [BBE]
Mad Cobra – Flex [Columbia]
Metronomy – A Thing For Me (Breakbot Remix) [Because Music]
Junior – Is This Love?
Madlib – Come Here My Dear [Stones Throw]
Jill Scott – Gotta Get Up (feat. Jill Scott) [Hidden Beach]
Walt Barr – Mystery To Me [Muse Records]
Todd Rundgren – "Hello, It’s Me" [Bearsville]
J Dilla – "Track 19"
Illa J – "Strippers"
Kaytranada – "Vacation"
The ever-tasteful DJ Monk One has apparently returned to his old radio program on New York's listener-supported WBAI Radio, and his first show went a little something like this: a stellar throwback session of old cuts from James Brown, Gang Star, Waajeed and any more. A somewhat Bucktown-centric mixtape, "Back to Brooklyn" was crafted by Monk One to commemorate WBAI's studio relocation to BKLYN. Thankfully, we all get to enjoy the funky move music.
It's not even fair with this one. Breakbeat Lou pulled through the Dubspot Radio studios to drop a mix comprised of nothing but classic breaks, from "Passin Me By" to J Dilla's "Stop" to some Jay Electronica, Snoop, Mix-A-Lot and more. It's the sort of old-meets new, eminently funky set we love to showcase in Mixtape Monday, so get to getting while the gushy stuff is good.
Bonus: Listen to an interview with Lou and Dubspot Radio, in which the DJ breaks down his approach and favorite cuts.
The sonic mastermind David Byrne's DB Radio brought Joakim through to spin a sprawling mix of African music of various styles and eras. Opening with the sparse drum work of Chris Watson and moving through Ambuya Nyati, King Sunny Ade and William Onyeabor and much more. The entire set was actually recorded live at MoMA PS1 in New York City during a celebration of Onyeabor, so you know the credentials are straight with this one. Okayafrica praised Joakim for displaying "an incredible knowledge of rare African grooves," and adding in "a couple tracks that don’t necessarily originate from the African continent, but are inspired by its music and expansive variety of artists."
1. Eric Welles & Joakim – "Introduction"
2. Chris Watson – "Male Capercallie Display"
3. Guem & Zaka Percussion – "Le Serpent"
4. Angele Asselé – "Etre"
5. Ambuya Nyati – "Bukatiende" (Levez-vous et allez-y)
6. Chris Watson – "Elephants" (Family Group Asleep In Rough Grassland)
7. Unknown – "Unknown"
8. Fax The Fax – "African Vacation"
9. Surutu Kunu – "Yaya Ho"
10. King Sunny Ade – "Synchro System"
11. Francis Bebey – "La Condition Masculine"
12. African Connection – "Tiembelema"
13. Al Diamon – "Tashi mu taka (hausa)"
14. Tohon Stanislas – "Mi Tchinker"
15. Issa Bagayogo – "Once In A Lifetime (Soft Rocks Remix)"
16. Tam Tam Pour L’Ethipie – "Tam Tam Pour L’Ethiopie (B Side)"
17. Black Soul – "Africa Africa"
18. Sofrito Specials Presents – "African Disco Power (Sofrito Edit)"
19. Babatunde Olatunji – "Jin-Go-Lo-Ba (Drums of Passion)"
20. Guem & Zaka Percussion – "La Foret Vierge"
21. African Head Charge – "Stebeni’s Theme (Jimi Bazzouka Refix)"
22. Diskoking Burnhart McKoolski – "Togetherness"
23. Bunny Mack – "Supafrico (Instrumental)"
24. Carlos & Miki – "Walking Down The River"
25. William Onyeabor – "When The Going Is Easy (Jimi Bazzouka Edit)"
26. Larytta – "Voodoo Things (Difficult Lee)"
27. Moton 14 – "Sweet Drums"
28. Xitsonga Dance – "Xitsonga Dance"
29. Tony Tete Harbor & The Star Heaters of Nigeria – "Tete Muo Bu Muo"
30. Bola Johnson & His Easy Life Top Beats – "Ezuku Buzo"
31. William Onyeabor – "Why Go To War"
Three hours of future-leaning sound is what's in store with Souleciton's regular radio show, now in its 211th volume, presented by label leader Joe Kay. This most recent batch of sounds features the talents of Jay Prince and is one of the more loose and eclectic shows that we've heard from the Sound of Tomorrow™ in quite some time. Expect Robert Glasper, Mr. Carmack, plenty of Sango and a touch of Twista.
Joe Kay’s Session (0 – 1:07:14)
1. Moods – Moods - Jammin4Ray
2. Esta – mikos da gawd x esta - sepia
3. Robert Glasper – Dillalude 3
4. Miguel – Pussy Is Mine
5. Mr Carmack – Miguel
6. Sango – Sempre
7. Robert Glasper – Move Love (Paul
8. MeLoX x Drake x Sade
9. PARTYNEXTDOOR – Let's Get Married
10. TEK.LUN – Untitled
11. ESTA. – Bryson Tiller - Sorry Not Sorry (esta remix)
12. CAMARILLO ( J-Louis)
13. Elhae – Home
14. Sam Gellaitry - snake charmer (swindail edit)
15. The Great Wave (Joe Kay Slowed Edit)
16. Nikes x Lefty x MoonDoctoR – $mokin Ha$h
17. Sango - Scars Pt. 2
18. Joseph L'Étranger – lou will
19. Araab Muzik – Let It Go (Slowed)
20. Evil Needle – ciara
21. Sonnymoon – Houstatlantavegas
22. The Weeknd – What You Need [Prison Garde Eight Oh Eight Remix]
23. Sam Gellaitry – shake
24. Kendrick Lamar – You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
25. Weird Inside - just ask (oshi redo)
26. Jay-Z - Girls, Girls, Girls (instrumental)
27. Skymark - Special E.D
28. Ja Rule - Down 4 U ft. Ashanti (Instrumental)
29. OriJanus - oJ - 40
30. Gravez - Where We From (Remix by?)
31. EZRA - Colors
32. oriJanus - dream_newmix
33. oriJanus - bataan1
34. Drake - Trophies (Brasstracks Cover)
Jay Prince’s Interview Session (1:07:14 – 2:02:02)
35. Twista - Overnight Celebrity
36. Hugh Hopper & Alan Gowen - Morning Order
37. Ahmed - Tale of Two People
38. OH91 - Autotune (Pea Whitey Remix)
39. Mabanua - Interlude #3
40. Christoph El Truento - Galaxy
41. Adam Feeney & Chester Stone - 0 - 100
Noah s Rare Edit)
42. Afta-1 - Brooklyn Sunset
43. Mura Masa - Lovesick Fuck
44. Unknown - E Bo (Edit)
45. Pursuit Grooves - Whisper
46. Jay Prince - Feel It (Live)
47. Jay Prince - 4U (Live)
48. Afta-1 - Escape
49. Jeff Lorber Fusion - Rain Dance
50. Soul Mann And The Brothers - Bumpy’s Lament
Jay Prince’s Selection’s (2:02:02 – 2:19:11)
51. J. Cole - Too Deep For The Intro
52. Kendrick Lamar - Let Me Be Me
53. Cam'ron - Hey Ma (Feat. Juelz Santana)
54. Common - Thelonius
55. Clear Soul Forces - Get No Better - (Produced by KanKick)
56. OutKast - A Life In the Day of Benjamin Andre (Incomplete)
57. Childish Gambino - Shadows
58. Iamnobodi - Maputo Dance
Joy Kay’s Session (2:19:11 – End of Session)
59. Disclosure - White Noise (Hudson Mohawke Remix)
60. Masego x Medasin - girls that dance mix final
61. Vai Funk- Chris McClenney (f)
62. Hunt for the Breeze - Louis XIV
63. Sango - TownBiz_idea
64. Tangoterje - Cant Help It (Samba rmx)
65. Tangoterje - New Morning (reworked)
66. ESTA. - Bryson Tiller - Don't (esta. remix)
67. sam gellaitry - foolish
68. Sam Gellaitry - waiting so long
69. Synth-E-Sam - Prizm Lock
70. Jazzuelle - Cubism
71. Jarreau Vandal - B.Y.O.B.
72. Towkio - Involved ft. Vic Mensa (Prod. Kaytranada)
73. Richard Jon Smith - Stay With Me Tonight (Pomo Edit
74. Kource - Off The Wall
75. Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You (Kource Edit)
76. Luther Vandross - Never Too Much
77. Pomo - So Fine
78. Chris McClenney - Booty (On The Floor)
Electronic music-maker Four Tet paid a visit to Rinse FM in London earlier this month, dishing out a new batch of electronic beats alongside classic tones from the likes of King Tubby, Stranger Cole and more. It's nothing compared to his legendary 8 HOUR SET for Rinse that happened back in 2013, but it's a wholly enjoyable ride through beats both soft and banging.
The choicest of choice funk comes out to play in DJ Marsellus Wallace's "Diego Soul" mix, which digs into plenty of rare funk and soul from the late 60s throughout the 70s. You're sure to recognize many a tune across it's 30+ minute ride, but may be surprised to hear it rendered by way of a strange cover or b-side mix. Because even throwback sets should have their fair share of newness.
This one is so, so appropriate. Recovered from decades past, haas178's live park jam recording is a DJ set segment recovered from 1977! Recorded at P.S. 127, it's a trove of rare mega-vintage grooves and practically gleams with the good vibes that those in attendance must ahve been having. A precious remnant of proto-hip-hop, this one will truly have old school heads shedding a nostalgic tear or two. Put it on, grab your fresh kicks, and meet us at the park.
New York-based producer and DJ Obey City had the honor of taking over Gilles Peterson's Worldwide program this mont, and dropped a mix that's perfect for the early summer air: light and extremely danceable. A dash of Japanese pop strangeness and electro heft punctuates the set, adding variety and excitement for active listeners. But we recommend putting it on, kicking back, and enjoying yourself at an easy pace while we prepare for next week's roundup.
Maleem Mahmoud Guinia & Floating Points – Mimoun Marhaba (Border Community)
Throwing Snow – Paint By Numbers (Houndstooth)
Braille feat. Angelica Bess – Better Than Nothing (Friends of Friends)
Joe Henderson – Black Narcissus (Milestone Records)
Hunee – The World (Rush Hour Records)
Up High Collective – Dealing (Blatan’s Jazzy VIP) (Free Download)
Cassandre – Sifflant Soufflant (White Label)
William Parker & Hamid Drake – Black Cherry (AUM Fidelity)
Maths Time Joy feat. Flores – After Hours (True Colours)
Obenewa – He (Wunderkid)
Obey City – Cloud Lust (LuckyMe Records)
::Worldwide Family Mixtape – Obey City:: (mix tracklist below)
St Germain – Real Blues (Forthcoming)
Renata Rosa – Brilhantina (Aroop Roy Remix) (G.A.M.M)
Cláudia – Deixa Eu Dizer (Odeon)
Cláudia – Deixa Eu Dizer (Desabafo) (Tropkillaz & Leo Justi) (Free Download)
Trevor Jackson – They Came From NY (The Vinyl Factory)
Prinzhorn Dance School – Reign (DFA/PIAS)
Art Department feat. Seth Troxler – Living The Life (Crosstown Rebels)
Damian Lazarus – Sacred Dance of the Demon (Crosstown Rebels)
Headless Ghost – Let’s Fall (Deetron Remix) (Tames Musiq)
Julio Bashmore feat. Sam Dew – Holding On (Broadwalk Records)
Camille Soprann Hildevert – Caribbean People (Waxist Edit) (Cultures of Soul)