Mixtape Monday: DJ Platurn's Exclusive ATCQ Mega-Mix, Throwback Public Enemy The Pharcyde + More!
Welcome once more to Mixtape Monday, that weekly blog session during which we compile the very, very best sounds to hit the net. And it's an extra-special monday at that, because Okayplayer is very proudly presenting the world premiere of DJ Platurn's vivrant A Tribe Called Quest megamix, which comes loaded with plenty of kicksnarehihat. Beyond that, we're also very pleased to offer up new sounds from Black Coffee, Public Enemy circa 1988, a boatload of Tall Black Guy, some shiny new House Shoes, and one very special, sultry, xxx-rated set. So, in the spirit of fresh new sounds, let's get it on.
It's all here. DJ Platurn has returned with the follow up edition to his A Tribe Called Quest megamix--TBOATCQV2. Presented and, in a way, commissioned by actor, comedian and documentarian Michael Rapaport, the set is a intellectual dissection and, in a way, recomposition of the group's music. It knocks hard from front to back and Okayplayer couldn't be happier to present its world premiere.
From OG Meters funk to Art Blakey's jazz explorations and much, much more, Platurn has dug into the deep source material that made A Tribe Called Quest possible, and in doing so (re)constructed an immersive hour of music that always circles back to the almighty beat. it's something we owe him deep thanks for
Platurn was extra-deliberate in his expression of gratitude for Rapaport and, of course, Tribe:
Big ups to A Tribe Called Quest, all the artists they sampled, the equipment I used to make the mix, my little brother for recording Rapaport's interview and for being awesome, Michael Rapaport for talking the perfect amount of shit and wisdom and for being so supportive of my work, Mixerfriendly & Strictly Cassette for the ill collabos, and you for giving a fuck about real DJing and Tribe's timeless music.
Listen to all the old-school brainiac goodness below.
Ten minutes of nothing but Public Enemy, mixed, chopped and faded to perfection on New York's own WNYU...from 1988? Yes, it's a glorious Monday morning indeed.
This one got a great deal of circulation last week, but we'd be remiss to just straight up skip it. The Pharcyde's classic Labcabincalifornia LP celebrated its 20th anniversary this month, and the great minds at Whosampled and Wax Poetics joined forces with DJ Chris Read to create the ultimate then-and-now mixtape of the album's joints.This digs into just about every single sample on the record and is a brilliant bit of remedial sonic knowledge for those who never learned back in 1996 (it's okay, we'll let you off the hook....this time).
1. Les McCann - 'What's Going On (Live)' (sampled in 'Bullshit')
2. The Pharcyde - 'Bullshit' (Instrumental)
3. Chris Read - 'Theme #3' (Scratchapella)
4. Bob Marley - 'Get Up, Stand Up' (Loop) (sampled in 'Bullshit')
5. Gary Burton - 'Sing Me Softly of the Blues' (sampled in 'Bullshit')
6. Rodney Cee & Kevie Kev Rockwell - 'Stoop Rap' (sampled in 'Pharcyde')
7. The Pharcyde - 'Pharcyde'
8. Cal Tjader - 'The Bilbao Song' (sampled in 'Groupie Therapy')
9. The Pharcyde - 'Groupie Therapy'
10. A Tribe Called Quest - 'Lyrics to Go' (Loop) (sampled in 'Groupie Therapy')
11. Minnie Riperton - 'Inside My Love' (sampled in 'Groupie Therapy')
12. Stan Getz & Luis Bonfa - 'Suadade Vem Correndo' (sampled in 'Runnin')
13. Run D.M.C - 'Rock Box' (Extract) (sampled in 'Runnin')
14. The Pharcyde - 'Runnin' (Acapella)
15. The Pharcyde - 'Somethin' That Means Somethin'
16. The Beastie Boys - 'The New Style' (Extract) (sampled in 'Drop')
17. The Pharcyde - 'Drop'
18. A Tribe Called Quest - 'Check The Rhime' (Loop) (sampled in 'Drop (Beatminerz Remix)')
19. The Pharcyde - 'Drop' (Beatminerz Remix Instrumental)
20. The Pharcyde - 'Y?'
21. Mass Production - 'Keep My Heart Together' (sampled in 'Moment in Time')
22. The Pharcyde - 'Moment in Time'
23. The Pharcyde - 'Devil Music'
24. Wu-Tang Clan - 'Da Mystery of Chessboxin' (Loop) (sampled in 'Devil Music')
25. Roy Ayers and Carla Vaughn - 'You Send Me' (sampled in 'The Hustle')
26. The Pharcyde - 'The Hustle'
27. Vince Guaraldi Trio - 'Fly Me To The Moon' (sampled in 'Splattitorium')
28. The Pharcyde - 'Splattitorium'
29. Cannonball Adderley - Walk Tall / Mercy Mercy Mercy (sampled in 'She Said')
30. The Pharcyde - 'Passin Me By' (Extract) (sampled in 'She Said')
31. The Pharcyde - 'She Said'
32. The Pharcyde - 'The E.N.D'
33. [Bonus Track] The Pharcyde feat Lizzy Parks & Giles Barratt - 'Runnin' (Chris Read Rap Renaissance Remix)
House Shoes continues to turn out quality material on his Dublab "Magic" show. This time 'round he's spun up some Denmark Vessey, EWH, J Rocc, Jose James and plenty of Denetia & Sene, so get your head nod situated just right before you press play. It's all too, too proper.
1. Thundercat & MonoPoly – Paris
2. Trevor Dandy – Is There Any Love
3. Raj Mahal – Willful
4. Alchemist – Camp Registration
5. Chanes – Hey feat. Guilty Simpson & Moe Dirdee
6. Roc Marciano – Sweet Nothings
7. 14KT & Tall Black Guy – ChopField
8. D.I.T.C. – All Love (Apollo Brown remix)
9. Danny Brown – Whatkanido
10. Denmark Vessey – GOOD RICE
11. Electric Wire Hustle – Golden Ladder
12. UNJUST – GETTIN HIGH
13. Group Home – Sacrifice
14. FINALE – Just Due ft. Homeboy Sandman
15. J Rocc – COFFEE REMIX
16. DEDE – Phantom ( Waajeed remix)
17. DERT BEATS – You Can Do Better Than Drums
18. Jose James – Black Magic
19. Dert Floyd – the new once more
20. Denetia & Sene – call u. 2
21. Denetia & Sene x Knxwledge – cassanova (Knxwledge remix)
22. Illingsworth – Kings
23. Kendrick Lamar – Mortal Man
24. Lox – Fuck You
25. Fashawn x Alchemist – Amen
26. Jay Electronica – CandyMan
27. Joe Pass – A Time for Us
28. Jay Dee – Joe Pass
29. Jay Z – DP3
30. Dert – Lab Rats feat. Guilty Simpson
31. Samiyam – Sometimes
32. Pharcyde – (My Soul Jay Dee Remixes)
33. Your Old Droog ft. Prodigy – Hoodie Weather
34. Jose Mauro – Apocalipse
35. Guilty Simpson – Cali Hills
36. Roc Marciano – Jaws
37. BIG – 10 Crack Commandments (14KT Remix)
38. Dabrye – This Is Where I Came In
39. DERT – BB17
40. Fatt Father – Grime feat. Guilty SImpson, Sean Price, Roc Marciano
41. KRNDN – Lean On Me ft. Kobe
42. Anderson Paak – The Season / Carry Me
43. Jonwayne – Rap On This Kanye
44. Chanes – Time Is Running Out
45. Jeedeci – Love U4 Life Melody
46. Denmark Vessey & Scud One – Do You Believe
47. Homeboy Sandman – America, the Beautiful
48. Dead Prez – Police State
49. Emanon – Yesterday feat. Blu
50. M.O.P. – Foundation
51. Ext – Strange
52. Waajeed of Platinum Pied Pipers – Knives Out
53. Gil Scott- Heron & Brian Jackson – The Bottle
54. NoWorries – Suede
55. Roc Marciano – Tek To A Mack
56. House Shoes – The Makings
57. MED & Pok – Purist (prod. House Shoes)
58. J1 – Stevie
59. J-1 aka THE DEER – Mellow Yellow feat. Jimetta Rose
60. J-1 aka THE DEER – GHOSTNOTES
61. House Shoes – Castles [The Sky Is Ours] feat. Jimetta Rose
62. Frank Cunimundo Trio – Feelin Good
This one goes out to all the Ralph Lauren true believers out there, but even if you've never rocked Polo, you can rock to DJ Stresh's "Lo Tape (Tribute to the Lo Life)." From Just BLaze to Raekown, Sadat to Roc Marciano, it's all here. Hope you've been keeping your wardrobe fresh and correct.
DJ Rahdu threw down a set dedicated to the shops--sneaker shops, barber shops, record shops, coffee shops--all the shops that offer not just a transaction but a place for aficionados to kick it with their respective communities. In these spaces, the proper soundtrack is key, and with that in mind Rahdu put together a set of vibrant instrumentals that can fit just about any occasion.
One of the most amazing stores I’ve ever visited was The Blue Marlin, a boutique sneaker store in Rome, Italy. Everything about the store was couture including the music, which the owner and I discussed although there was a small language barrier. I’ve often fantasized what the music will sound like when I own my store and decided it would sound something like this, at least weekly.
After creating and enjoying, I decided it would be cool to pass this mix along to shop owners to play in their shops as well as to patrons to enjoy while perusing wares. This comes right on time as the holiday season is upon us
Shop Music is a 1 hour mix of jazz, funk and hip hop instrumentals from DJ Quik to Tall Black Guy. Enjoy, play in your shop, add to your mp3 player, and listen responsibly.
You heard the man--listen responsibly, y'all.
Beats both inventive and experimental abound in Black Coffee's brand new essential mix for BBC Radio 1. The South African pioneer of house blends electronica and remixes of funk classics into a set that never lets up. Blended into it all are plenty of unknown, unlabeled tracks, meaning that you'll have to listen to it front to back, over and over again, to get your full fix.
Black Coffee – Essential Mix 2015-11-21 tracklist:
[unknown] – Untitled
Fat Freddy’s Drop – Hope (3 Generation Walking Remix)
The Ancient Moons – Vermillion
Heavyhandz – Light Is New [Deeper Shades Recordings]
Vince Watson – Eminesesnce [Yoruba]
Manoo – A Day In December
Nathan Adams – Sending You My Love
St. Germain – Real Blues
Funkadelic – Ain’t That Funkin Kinda Hard On You (Vega’s Trumpet Dub)
[unknown] – Untitled
[unknown] – Untitled
Black Coffee – Inkodlo Kamashimane
[unknown] – Untitled
Black Coffee – Intro
Stones & Bones – Wrong U (Manoo Deep Mix)
St Nicholas – Travel The World (Sobz Drumatic Mix)
Benny T – Prayer
The MD X-Spress – God Made Me Funky
[unknown] – Untitled
A mixtape comprised of entirely 70s-era X-rated film soundtracks is a beautiful--dare we say, orgasmic?--listening experience. Constructed by Drixxxe, the set posted below is actually the third edition in the series, but we had to include the cover from the previous installment, because the bosses aren't too thrilled about some nudie action on the Mixtape Monday platform. You'll just have to get your own (NSFW!) peek right here.
We're not sure who "Small White Guy" is, but we do know that Mr. Bee, coming straight out of Detroit, is on to something with his all-Tall Black Guy production. Featuring some of the very, very best noise that TBG has ever made, you'll hear cuts both familiar and strange on this top-tier mix, which is actually the second in what we hope is an ongoing series. Check out episode 1 here, and listen to the new new below.
1) Into The Mornin (feat The Primeridian)
2) Cole Marrom
3) We Can Ride The Boogie
4) Drift Away (To Where I Don't Care)
5) Whistle While You Work (feat The Primeridian)
6) At Ease
7) Renegade Brass Band - Just Business (Tall Black Guy 'Spanky' Remix)
8) Ride The Cali Sun
9) Night Stars
10) High Noon Stank (feat The Primeridian)
11) Em La La Terra
12) Water No Enemy
13) Sonic Controller
14) The Black Opera feat Georgia Anne Muldrow - The Beginning Of The End
15) Sexci Senhora
16) One To One
17) Give Em The Heat (Billie Jean)
18) Rain Into The Nite Outro
19) Skyzoo - The Cost Of Sleep
There's most definitely a weekend sort of vibe on "Sunday Sessions Nº277," a new offering from German selector SKOR72. Put it on, kick back, and imagine that it's next weekend already, and all the holiday madness has (for a moment) faded away. Keep moving to it, y'all.