Arianna delane shooting
Photo Credit: ABC13 Houston

George Floyd's Niece Shot on New Year's Day, Police Under Investigation For 4 Hour Response Time

Four-year-old Arianna Delane, niece of George Floyd, is recovering after being shot in her home in southwest Houston on New Year's Day.

George Floyd's niece Arianna Delane was struck while sleeping in her bed during a neighborhood shooting in Houston on New Year's Day. According to ABC13 Houston, Delane was sleeping in the front bedroom of her family's two-story apartment on 3300 block of Yellowstone Boulevard when a stray bullet flew through the window. The unknown shooter shot three bullets into the apartment total just before 3 AM on January 3rd. Due to the shooting, Delane has a punctured lung and liver and three broken ribs.

Delane's father, Derrick Delane spoke with ABC13 Houston about the incident.

"My daughter jumped up and said, 'Daddy, I've been hit' and I was shocked until I seen the blood and I realized my 4-year-old daughter was really hit... She didn't know what was going on. She was asleep."

After Delane was shot, her mother drove her to a nearby hospital where she was stabilized following an intensive surgery where doctor's found a punctured lung and liver along with several broken ribs. While Houston police has yet to find a motive or suspect in the shooting, Floyd grew up in Houston, raising concerns that the shooting was potentially a targeted attack.

"Why would my house get shot up?" Derrick Delane said. "My daughter don't know. I can't explain that to her. As the father, you're supposed to protect the kids."

On Tuesday afternoon, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner opened an Internal Affairs investigation into the department's response time to the shooting. Arianna's father said police didn't arrive until 7 A.M., more than four hours after his daughter was shot.

"I am aware and have concerns regarding the delayed response time in this incident and have initiated an Internal Affairs investigation," Finner said in a statement. "I ask the city continue to pray for the child's full recovery and assist in providing information that would lead to the arrest of the suspect or suspects responsible."