DeRay McKesson Arrested In Baton Rouge, Louisiana

UPDATE: DeRay McKesson Released From BRPD Custody

DeRay McKesson Arrested In Baton Rouge, Louisiana

UPDATE: Politician and activist Deray McKesson has been released from jail following his arrest during a protest in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on Saturday night. According to a report from ABC News, booking records at the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office confirm McKesson’s arrest and that he had been held at the East Baton Rouge Parish Jail. McKesson was walking along Airline Highway with other protestors and filming the march when he was arrested Saturday.

Last night, protesters continued to raise awareness about the deaths of Alton Sterling, after the 31-year-old was insanely gunned down by police. In the midst of the demonstration, prominent #BlackLivesMatter activist DeRay Mckesson was arrested while walking alongside the Airline Highway with fellow protesters. A true testament to how far we have come in documenting events such as this, Mckesson live-streamed his arrest on Periscope.  The anger and frustration has spilled over into action as hundreds of protesters have arrived to Baton Rouge to call for justice after the video of Sterling’s death at the hands of two white officers went viral.

Cries of “No justice! No peace!” have been belted out from Baton Rouge to Minnesota (for Philando Castile) to Union Square in New York City. Roughly 1,000 protesters including Mckesson and his #BlackLivesMatter associates gathered outside the Baton Rouge Police Department, waving homemade signs as passersby honked their support. As of press, there still hasn’t been any official word from the BRPD as to why Mckesson was arrested and it hasn’t been made immediately clear what his charges will or would be. Mckesson, one of the most recognizable faces within the #BlackLivesMatter movement, was arrested next to 33 others who were placed in custody, wrists tied and taken to a police precinct.

The newly minted interim chief human capital officer for Baltimore City Public Schools utilized social media to keep his 455K followers informed. See the tweets for yourself below:

“The police have been provocateurs all night. The protesters have been solid,” Mckesson said in the video just minutes before his arrest. In the clip, a police officer appears to tell Mckesson, who was walking on the shoulder of the road, that e’d been “flagged” for walking on the highway. “You with them loud shoes, I see you on the road. If I get close to you you’re going to jail. You better keep walking.” With no sidewalk in sight, the group with Mckesson in tow continued to walk until he was eventually taken by surprise and was arrested. “Don’t fight me. Don’t fight me,” the officer said. Throughout the night, police donned riot gear and came out to face off against the crowd.

News of McKesson’s arrest exploded on social media, with #FreeDeRay still serving as the number one trend in the country. More than 100,000 tweets flew between users before the sun came up. With word flowing on the e-streets, a police spokesman confirmed DeRay’s arrest to The Advocate newspaper, but have yet to elaborate on what those potential charges would be. A website for a local jail even showed that McKesson was an inmate there as of Sunday morning, 8:45 a.m.

There was one point during the event, when numerous police cars, with their blue lights flashing, sped off down the street where a smaller group of protesters had walked in an attempt to get them to “stay on the grass” and not on the road. This story is still developing, and we will keep you up-to-date as we follow the events with DeRay Mckesson.

H/T: The Washington Post

Our Newsletter

Follow us on Social Media