Megan Thee Stallion’s album Suga will be released this Friday. The emergency motion filed by Carl Crawford, CEO 1501 Certified Entertainment that attempted to block the roll-out of new music has been denied.
READ: Megan Thee Stallion Plans To Drop Album This Week, Label Attempts To Block Her Release
According to Complex, District Court Judge Beau A. Miller denied the motion. The order declares that “the album at issue may be dropped for distribution beginning March 6, 2020.”
Miller also mentioned Rap-A-Lot Records head J. Prince in the order. He has publicly expressed his support of Crawford in the midst of the tumultuous news that has been unveiled this week. Megan and her lawyer specifically called out Prince in her lawsuit alleging that he was a part of a smear campaign that took place via social media. The order states “Mr. Prince shall refrain from threatening or posting threatening or retaliatory social media posts or threats against [Megan], her agents, or her representatives.”
Since last Friday, Megan and Crawford have either taken to the press or social media to address their underlying issues with one another. The judge has noted they both “are prohibited from communicating with the media concerning the underlying issues in this case without court approval.”
The entire debacle began when the Houston rapper called out her label on an Instagram Live video. In the clip she shared that 1501 and Crawford were stopping her from releasing new music. Following this call-out, she filed a lawsuit that went public on Monday.
Early this morning, J. Prince responded to Megan’s allegations in a lengthy Instagram post. In the post, he says the lawsuit is “wrapped around lies and stupidity” and also mentions JAY-Z and Roc Nation.
A photo of Prince and Crawford features the following caption, “For the record we have no problem with negotiating with Megan but we do have a problem with dictators,” Prince said. “I find it very interesting that Roc Nation would allow their employee to sign an affidavit and statement full of slanderous lies on my methods of doing business when we have partnered together on several occasions. I don’t think JAY-Z is aware of this but only time will tell.”
He goes on to share that it’s a “known fact” that major labels and smaller labels have somewhat of a relationship that he describes as poaching. “One of the first things they do is criticize the deal that raised that artist from the dead,” he wrote. Prince added that the 40% portion of Megan’s contract with 1501 was “a great deal.”
In an additional post, Prince concludes with the following statement:
“To end this I give credit to where credit is due. Megan along with her mother, who evidently could read (God rest her soul), negotiated a good deal. I extended my hand to meet with Megan, T Farris, and team personally for further negotiations. Unfortunately it never happened even though we’re all in Houston, because she’s being controlled by the very people who started this shit. The homie Carl was an angel in Megan’s eyes when he was spending hundreds of thousands investing in her career. Now that he’s helped her become a successful artist she stopped paying him his percentage and views him as the devil. I’m glad money don’t make me. I make money.”
Take a look at both posts below.
On Thursday, Meg addressed the court’s decision on Instagram. “FACTS ARE FACTS AND THE FACTS ARE PUBLIC!!” she said. “I’m extremely pleased that 1501 and Carl Crawford were denied the request to dissolve the court order and try to stop my music from being released. I will proceed with the release of “SUGA” on Friday, March 6.”
Additionally, she clarified her side of the story regarding Roc Nation, her revenue splits, and more. Earlier this week, J. Prince alleged that Megan’s late mother negotiated the terms of her deal with 1501. On Instagram, Megan claimed that Prince was not originally involved in the deal.
“To be clear,” she said, “I will stand up for myself and won’t allow two men to bully me, I am NO ONES PROPERTY. Y’all are choosing to highlight the issue of music splits…talk about everything else. This has nothing to do with anyone else including JAY-Z, stop deflecting and trying to make this a publicity stunt, I want my rights. The facts are; 1. 1501 doesn’t want to approve my budget to put out my project that the court is allowing to be released. 2. 1501 tried to stop my release, I prevailed in court. 3. 1501 tried to fight the decision today, the court denied 1501’s request🤷🏽♀️ respect my deceased mother, she’s not here, you don’t know her, you weren’t involved, Carl should speak for himself, all the facts are public record available at the courthouse in Houston.”
Stay tuned for more updates.
Swarm co-creator Janine Nabers told Vulture that Beyoncé has possibly watched the show, which was… Read More
The 2023 Newport Jazz Festival lineup has been announced, with performers including Herbie Hancock, Thundercat,… Read More
During Adam Sandler's acceptance of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, Chris Rock rifted… Read More
Music legend Sly Stone has announced a new memoir co-authored by Ben Greenman, titled Thank… Read More
One of NYC’s first Black-owned cocktail bars opened in the 1840s. Now, a handful exist,… Read More
LaKeith Smith, an Alabama man who was 15 when a police officer shot and killed… Read More