Ok, we lied. Last week’s release of our A Very Okayplayer Christmas mixtape was supposed to be the final Mixtape Monday of 2012, but here we are. And no one’s complaining. So keep reading and listening.
Underdog The DJ – “The Unseen”
Full disclosure: Underdog The DJ does most (if not all) of the artwork for Okayafrica’s Africa In Your Earbuds mixtape series. I knew dude was good on that front. Didn’t know he was a DJ as well. Don’t worry though. No nepotism here. Full of trippy synths, heavy 808s, disembodied vocal samples, and awesome R. Kelly remixes. To reference The Weeknd cover by Ellie Goulding contained within. You might wanna be high for this.
1. SWV- THE RAIN (GEORGIA RMX)
2. TEEBS- Bern Rhythm
3. Andre 3000 x The Weeknd- The Ride (Faded Too Long Remix)
4. MARK PRITCHARD- BEAUTIFUL AFRICA
5. J DAVEY- SHASH’U RAINCHECK REMIX
6. Calvin Harris – Sweet Nothing (Grandtheft REmix)
7. BENGA-PAGE YOU
8. MOSKA- BOK BOK
9. Ellie Goulding – High For This (Sliink X Kiff Remix)
10. LIL TEXAS- I Need U (Sango Edit)
11. DJ SLIINK- MARLEY RIGHT NOW
12. RINCON- CHEST TAP
14. R. Kelly – Ignition ( Fingalick’s Clyde Rerub )
15. CRYSTAL WATERS-GYPSYTON
16. BJORK- HUNTER (AFROTEQUE REMIX)
17. ERYKAH BADDHU- WINDOW SEAT (AFROTEQUE REMIX)
18. FRANK OCEAN- THINKING BOUT YOU (AFROTEQUE UPTOWN PERUVIAN DEDICATION REMIX)
19. FRANK OCEAN – WISEMAN
20. BARRINGTON LEVY – VIBES IS HIGH
21. Jesse boykins III- zoner demo
22. Telepopmusic-Brighton Beach
>>> DOWNLOAD (610MB wav file)
Jazzcat “Re-Edits And Re-works”
I’m a sucker for re-edits, re-mixes, re-rubs, rinses, re-fixes, and whatever else they’re being called these days. Especially ones that breathe new life into old records, both classic and obscure. Jazzcat takes several re-edits and re-works (hence the title) of tracks from Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Lorez Alexandria and more in this mix that features songs you may recognize, but not in these forms.
No Download Available. Sorry.
LeFtO – “Winter Sun #2 – For Cold Winter Nights”
Belgian DJ LeFtO smooths things out with the jazzy Winter Sun #2. Subtitled “For Cold Winter Nights,” I defintely foresee this being the soundtrack to many cold evenings in 2013. I wish LeFtO had left a tracklist behind, but Mixcloud was kind enough to point a few of them out to us. Put on your finest Cosby sweater. Pop open that cheap, yet delicious bottle of wine you bought at Trader Joe’s. Light the fireplace. Hit play.
NO TRACKLIST AVAILABLE