The Lonely Island Performs "I'm On A Boat" With Jimmy Fallon x The Roots
“I’m On A Boat.” You remember that one, right? That infamous rap parody track from The Lonely Island‘s 2009 album Incredibad that became a pop culture sensation (and featured one of the most memorable guest appearances from Auto-Tune mastermind T-Pain)?
Well, the trio of comedians have brought the song back to life, courtesy of Jimmy Fallon‘s Classroom Instruments segment. Adorned in full fleet week sailor attire and sunglasses (except Jorma Taccone, who’s visibly bummed at being the only one wearing a “DUNCE” cap), everyone breaks into the viral video track, with Andy Samberg and Akiva Schaffer spitting their verses. Other notable moments include:
- Questlove yelling “floppy floppies” and being the hype man that The Lonely Island deserves.
- Samberg pulling out an actual pair of “floppy floppies.”
- Captain Kirk Douglas playing a ukulele with the straightest face possible.
- Black Thought singing T-Pain’s lol-worthy guest verse, including the part about f**king a mermaid (and pulling out an actual inflated mermaid).
- The look of disapproval Black Thought receives from everybody else, after singing about f**king a mermaid.
The Lonely Island boys have been making their promotional run for their film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, which is in theaters today. The movie is a parody of music documentaries such as Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, where Andy Samberg portrays Connor4Real, an internationally known pop artist, who is struggling with the failure of his second album, Connquest. If you’ve yet to watch the trailer here you go — it’s worth watching considering that Seal (yes, “Kiss From A Rose” Seal) makes a very brief but memorable appearance.
Other guests appearances include Snoop Dogg, DJ Khaled, Nas, RZA, Justin Timberlake, Questlove and Fallon.
It’ll be interesting to Questo on the big screen, even though he’s playing himself. Hopefully he’ll get the chance to check out the flick soon, but probably not this weekend. He’s been getting ready for his performance with Usher at this year’s Roots Picnic happening this Saturday.