'It's Not Whips And Plantations': HBO President Addresses 'Confederate' Backlash
HBO President Casey Bloys called the rollout of the forthcoming Confederate series “misguided.”
On Wednesday, during the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills, California, Bloys addressed the controversy surrounding the announcement of the show, reportedly saying that the network takes full responsibility for how it was rolled out.
“File this under hindsight is 20/20,” Bloys said. “If I could do it over again, HBO’s mistake — not the producers’ — was the idea that we would be able to announce an idea that is so sensitive that requires such care and thought on the part of the producers in a press release was misguided on our part.”
However, Bloys defended the show and its creators, saying that he believes the series will be of quality.
“It’s not whips and plantations,” Bloys said. “…They’re going to be the difference. My hope is that people will judge the actual material as opposed to what it could be, should be, or might be, and they — and we — will rise or fall based on the quality of that material.”
According to a press release for Confederate the series “takes place in an alternate timeline, where the Southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution.”
Earlier this week the show’s creators — David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as husband and wife Malcolm Spellman and Nichelle Tramble Spellman (who are black), discussed the show and the controversy its announcement received.
“There is not going to be, you know, the big Gone With the Wind mansion,” Nichelle said. “This is present day, or close to present day, and how the world would have evolved if the South had been successful seceding from the Union.”