Analog heads rejoice: our favorite retail holiday of the year is upon us – Record Store Day! Figuring out where to go and what to cop can be a little overwhelming (and pocket-draining), but as usual, Okayplayer’s got your back. Paying actual money for physical copies of music may seem like a lost art these days, but since its inception, RSD has ensured that audiophiles, collectors, and casual listeners alike will have a few things worth leaving space for on their shelves. We here at Okayplayer know that being prepared is half the battle, so we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the can’t-miss releases dropping tomorrow to help keep your wallet and mind at ease while enjoying the vibes at your favorite local wax emporium. And if you’re in the major cities of New York or Los Angeles, there are a couple events worth checking out, even if dropping cash on music that won’t fit in your pocket isn’t your jam (we have a feeling it might be after seeing this list, however). Check out the (abbreviated) event listings below, and click on through to get your RSD 2013 shopping list in order, friends.
- Turntable Lab: DJs all day [Ayers, Eli Escobar, Dopeshoes + more], extended hours, and a thorough selection of RSD Releases
- Halcyon: DJs all day, free coffee from Archway Coffee for those who line up early
- Good Records NYC: Free food, drinks and music all day, plus an impression of rare original and out-of-print pressings
- Mount Analog: DJs all day, stand-up comedy by Fred Armisen (!), 50% off sale select items, special exclusive releases
- Permanent Records: DJs all day, open at 5AM, exclusive releases
- Origami Vinyl: DJs all day, first customer in line gets to shop the entire store alone for 5 minutes, original RSD zine distributed while supplies last, extended hours